How can you protect yourself and your home?
- Use a deadbolt lock and solid core wood or metal door on all outside entrances
- Inventory, mark, photograph and video your valuables
- Use automatic timers to illuminate your home
- Use motion detection lights outside
- Secure windows and doors with locks and deadbolts (do not overlook sliding glass doors)
- Trim landscape to reasonable heights to provide good visibility and to hinder burglars from seeking hiding places around your home or apartment
- Obtain a secure alarm system and register it with Lansdale Police Department
- When traveling at night, be aware of your surroundings
- Avoid using ATMs at night; before you enter your car look in the back seat and have your keys ready when walking to the car
- Do no accept rides from strangers and stay away from parked cars containing individuals unknown to you
- When you leave your home, let someone responsible know where you are going and when you plan to return.
- When you're away on vacation, contact the Lansdale Police Department and let them know how long you are going to be away as well as when you will be returning
- If possible, carry a cell phone with you for emergencies
- Discuss with your children about being home alone and how to play outside safely.
Visit Missing Kids for more information and free publications for families.